Welcome to Our World is a three-level pre-primary series in American English. It uses traditional children’s songs from around the world, with amazing National Geographic photos and images, to introduce very young learners to the world of English.
- Learn English with songs performed by young learners around the world.
- Games and activities make learning English fun!
- Beautiful photos from National Geographic capture the imagination of very young learners.
- The Professional Development video helps teachers use the songs and games effectively.
Each level of Welcome to Our World includes:
- Traditional songs from around the world
- Vocabulary presentation and practice
- Relevant content and topics
- Opportunities to hear and repeat target language
- Fun games and activities
- And classroom video hosted by Dr. Joan Kang Shin.
Songs from Around the World
Welcome to Our World introduces very young learners to traditional children’s songs from around the world, teaching them English through music, rhythm, and motion. Each song is taught by Dr. Joan Kang Shin and performed by young learners in real classrooms, and fully supports the language and concepts introduced in the Student Books.
- Watch young learners perform the songs….
- then sing along with Joan!
To help teachers use the songs confidently in their classrooms, a teaching video is provided, hosted by Dr. Shin, with step-by-step instructions for teaching each song to their young learners.
- Song Overview – Learn about the songs and watch young learners perform them in their native language
- Learn the Gestures – See Joan demonstrate how to perform the song gestures
- Teaching the Song – Listen to Joan give tips on how to teach the songs to young leaners
Video that Captures the Imagination of Very Young Learners
National Geographic video is the perfect way to bring your English classroom to life. Created especially for very young learners of English, and hosted by Dr. Shin, the Welcome to Our World Student Video is fully integrated into the Welcome to Explore Our World teaching and learning materials, with manageable segments that support the content of each unit, including:
- The unit song, performed by Dr. Shin and very young learners around the world
- Vocabulary Presentation
- Content Concepts Presentation
- And Listening and Speaking Practice
Professional Development for Every Teacher
To ensure teachers of very young learners are fully supported in their classrooms, the Teacher Video also includes a series of Professional Development videos, with best practices for teaching English using songs and games.
Hosted and developed by Dr. Shin, the videos include:
- Using songs with very young learners
- Adapting songs to different cultures
- Keeping students’ attention
- Making and using puppets
- Additional songs for classroom management